Zumba Fitness

Zumba Fitness
Customer Ratings: 4 stars
List Price: $29.99
Sale Price: $26.10
Today's Bonus: 13% Off
Buy Now

I buy a lot of things on Amazon, and I never take the time to write a review. So that should tell you just how much I love this game. I got it today and played a few tutorials and one class. I have no dance training and have only ever taken one Zumba class at a gym. I was able to keep up and was sweating like crazy by the end. If you have a PS3 and the Move and want a good workout, get this game. Plus, the Move really did seem to know if I was making the right steps. Pretty impressive!

Click Here to Read More Reviews >>

I purchased this game without ever having tried Zumba before. I was too intimidated to take a class and thought this would be perfect. All of the negative reviews usually complain about only having to sit and move the controller to get a good score. That is true. However, the music is SO fun! I don't really care if the controller is accurate or not. If you actually get off your butt and try, it's really easy to learn the moves. You just have to give it two or three chances. I have been doing it for 3 weeks and I wake up every morning and find myself humming the tunes or doing some of the moves while I make coffee. It is a very addictive workout. I think most people who wrote negative reviews just couldn't master the moves so they gave up. Although the controller isn't that accurate, it is still better than a DVD because you can customize what routine you want to do and there is a countdown timer so it gives you motivation to keep going till the end. Much better than a DVD!

Buy Zumba Fitness Now

This review is for the PS3 version of this game. The game is a lot of fun to play and everyone has a great time playing it. But the motion sensing of the game leaves a lot to be desired. For e.g. one of my friends decided to mess with the system and was literally flopping and flailing around with the Move controller in his hand and in the end got a higher score than any of the others (some of whom followed the lady's moves exactly). Moreover while he was continuing his buffoonery the lady in the game kept saying, "Great job", "Nice hip movement". It was a lot of fun from a party's point of view but clearly the game needs better motion tracking.

That being said, if you want to get a good workout then this game is really amazing. It has me sweating a great deal by the end of the 20 min workout (and I am one of those people who rarely breaks a sweat). My legs were really sore after the first time I did it. These dance workouts are amazing for your legs and arms. I could barely lift my arms (the first time) as I got to the last section of my workout. I also like that you can completely customize the workouts for months at a time.

All in all a great game if you are serious about your workout and try to imitate the lady as closely as possible, but if you want this as a competitive game for social gatherings then beware that the party clown will walk away with the firs prize.

Read Best Reviews of Zumba Fitness Here

As many MANY other reviewers have already stated, the Move is not precise and the menus leave a lot to be desired with this game. But it also seems like other reviewers are ignoring their own shortcomings and blaming the game for the fact that they can't figure out to use the regular DualShock controller to breeze through the menus (I agree, using the Move controller is awkward, but so was using a Nintendo64 controller for the first time, eventually you get used to it).

So I bought this in a package with the Move system because I live in a dangerous part of DC and can't exactly go trotting through my neighborhood in yoga pants with my walking ski poles and ankle weights. Traffic is too ridiculous at all hours of the day in this town to make going to the gym seem like a good idea but as I am aging desk jockey, I noticed I was getting a little soft.

When I first got the game, I excitedly used it once, didn't get all the way through the tutorial and bailed halfway through a beginner workout. Lame. My problem, I'm lazy and find it difficult to pay attention for long periods of time. I agree with most reviewers' complaints about the awkward menus, I ended up making two characters until I figured it out. So what, all "games" take getting used to.

Recently, I decided to start using the game again because I've been playing too much Fallout 3. I've been pretty good about eating less lately but with very little physical activity in my life (see above: dangerous neighborhood + I work in an office and am in my car for at least an hour and a half each work day), it wasn't really making a dent in these extra 5 or 10 pounds.

ANYWAY, I don't know what made that second time on this game so many weeks later that much better than the first but I not only got through the beginner workout, I couldn't wait to do another the following day. Keep in mind (it's the freaking ADD again), I didn't figure out from the beginning that you were supposed to use the belt with the controller in it until many workouts down the line when I actually opened the booklet that came with the game. Whoops. I kept the controller in my hand the entire time and didn't find this awkward (proof that you REALLY don't have to know what you are doing to Zumba). And here I thought I was getting credit for my awesome hip movements. As previously stated, the controller does not register perfectly HOWEVER I suspect that some of the complainers aren't actually Zumba-ing correctly; I am familiar with Latin dance and my character is always green or yellow. Shake those hips, people, come on.

Here's what other reviewers don't get: WHO CARES. The technology is there to ASSIST your workout, not do it for you. Maybe next time I'll let my cat play with the controller and try the intermediate workout. Personally for me, I enjoy sliding around on my floor in my socks looking like a fool and I can tell my backside enjoys it too. For the first time in months, I woke up without back pain after giving this "game" another shot.

Is it a "game" in the traditional sense? No, that's what Fallout 3 is for. Point being, it's an easy way to save on gym fees, avoid the sketchy hoodrats prowling your neighborhood on the way to the gym, tighten your butt and feel better about life in general.

Sometimes I swing the controller wildly so I can get to the next stage while I'm dancing awkwardly across my floor, all that matters is that I feel great after the workout and notice a difference in my tone, energy level and overall well-being. I mean really, what's with the complaining? It's a $40 game max, not $400. It's cheaper than what you'll spend on a full set of Zumba DVDs, but if you're more comfortable with that, just buy those instead.

Want Zumba Fitness Discount?

This is the 1st time I'm ever writing a review although I make alot of purchases on Amazon...bottomline, this game is overall a well invested buy, especially for those who like to dance/sweat.

Pros:

1) Cost efficient(good for ppl who don't wanna go to the gym but want to burn those calories. 1 hr of zumba = 800 calorie burn)

2) Dance steps are challenging and alot in variety(unlike how some zumba instructors teach, the steps aren't repetitious. Every 20 secs or so they bust out new moves)

3) Good workout(I heat up a pool of sweat in a matter of 30 mins)

4) Hosting match(you can invite other online players to dance with you...although it would be better if more ppl were available)

Cons:

1) Hip belt needs more stability(my hands always hit the belt causing the move controller to slip out which is annoying)

2) More dance variations would be nice

3) Navigating through the game is confusing at first(but once you get used to it, it's fine)

Buy Fom Amazon Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment